It’s days like today that I have to remind myself how much I need this job.
I mean I think about all my friends from college, like Jenny, who majored in French Literature. She graduated and the job market wasn’t very good. So she stayed in school, just to get her Master’s and buy herself some time. And it was still rough when she finished that, so she kept on going to get her PhD. And then … you guessed it. She graduated and the job market was even worse than when she first got out of college. Now she’s the best-educated back-up barista ever to sling the whipped cream can at Connie’s Coffee Conniption down in the lobby of our building.
So suffice it to say, I’m glad I’ve got this gig here at Doogleheimer & Schmitt. Not that it’s all roses. I mean I won’t bother talking about the daily embarrassment of the various ways that Phil mangles my name (even within the same conversation). I’ll just focus on the highlights, like the time Tammy froze my car into a fortress of ice so I had to live at the office for three days straight.
But what we’ve got going on here now with this six-way power grab for the office manager’s job among Tom’s direct reports is nothing short of epic. It was my idea and all to have the manager report to Tom, and I’m not going to let Phil think I’m ungrateful for him taking credit for it. Because after all I’m very thankful to have this job.
No, what I know from twelve months of toughing it out every day at good old Branch 7 is that I’ve got to keep my head down and let the stuff just fly over me. I’m not going to let myself get caught in it like Jane did. I’m not going to let myself get all emotional over it like Brad did. And I’m certainly not going to let myself get fired over it like Jan nearly did.
Partially because I don’t like being in the middle of someone else’s drama. But also because I don’t want to be the only back-up, back-up barista with an MBA at the coffee shop downstairs.Last 5 posts by Kelvin
- Let me give you a hint: it rolls downhill - December 7th, 2009
Join Our Fan Group on Facebook
- Everything else
- Jokes that are BeLOW US
- Not that stupid boat again!
- Office Olympics
- Office Pranks And The Audits They Cause
- Office Romance
- Saving Money
- The International Division
- The Pretty People
- Summer Vacation
- The Competition Whisperer
- Like I’m confused
- Home Cookin’
- Custodian of No
- Things I Hate, volume 3
- The Ringer
Highest Rated Posts
- Drip … drip … drip (5.00 out of 5)
- Office Holiday Party Redux — The Violations (5.00 out of 5)
- OMFG$$! (5.00 out of 5)
- Must Be Bad News (5.00 out of 5)
- Big Announcement — iTunes! (5.00 out of 5)
- Moving Violation (5.00 out of 5)
- I’m ambivalent as heck, and I just won’t take it anymore! (5.00 out of 5)
- Duck and Cover (5.00 out of 5)
- Two Big (Round) Reasons Why I Win At Business (5.00 out of 5)
- There’s no such thing as bad publicity (5.00 out of 5)